Information on programs available for 2018-2019 has now been added.
This page describes programs available in Canada for the 2018- 2019 fiscal year (April 1, 2018- March 31, 2019).
Decisions on applications to Japan Foundation open programs are made once a year so that all applications may stand on an equal basis in an international competition.
Application forms are available in September for the next fiscal year. Program application deadlines vary per program, so please check the individual program for the deadline. Applications are sent to Tokyo to be screened, and decisions for most applications are announced in April 2018.
How to Apply
1) Contact the Japan Foundation, Toronto or the nearest diplomatic mission to clarify your eligibility. (Even if you are certain of your eligibility, it is helpful to let the office know that you are planning to submit an application.)
- Ontario residents living outside the National Capital Region should apply through the Japan Foundation, Toronto
- National Capital Region residents should apply through the Embassy of Japan, Ottawa
- British Columbia and Yukon residents should apply through the Consulate General of Japan, Vancouver
- Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwest Territories residents should apply through the Consulate General of Japan, Calgary
- Quebec and Atlantic provinces residents should apply through the Consulate General of Japan, Montreal
2) Download application from this website or request a copy to be mailed to you from the Japan Foundation, Toronto. Fill out the application and submit by its specific deadline.
3) The application results for most programs will be sent to you by mail in April 2018.
Arts and Cultural Exchange Programs for 2018-2019
The following programs are open to Canadian educational institutions or individuals. For a detailed description, click on each program below:
- Exhibitions Abroad Support Program
This program is designed to provide financial assistance to exhibitions introducing Japanese art and culture to audiences overseas.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2018 fiscal year is December 1, 2017.
- Support Program for Translation and Publication on Japan
This program provides support to projects related to translating and/or publishing Japanese works and publishing books which introduce Japanese culture that are written in foreign languages.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2018 fiscal year is November 20, 2017.
- Performing Arts Japan for North America << UPDATED JULY 2018
This program is designed to provide financial assistance for performances or co-productions in North America that aim to introduce Japanese performing arts to local audiences.
Deadline: The deadline for the 2019 fiscal year is October 31, 2018.