At the Japan Foundation, Toronto we offer several types of classes for people who want to learn more about the Japanese language and culture:
The levels of all our classes are based on the Japan Foundation Standard for Japanese Language Education (JF Standard), so if you want to know if a certain class is right for you, please click here for more information.
For full details on upcoming classes, please check out our “Latest News”.
Don’t want to miss a thing? Click here to subscribe to our “Japanese Language Classes” newsletter!
For inquiries about Japanese language classes, please contact Barbara Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These term-based courses run for two hours a week over three 13 week terms (fall, winter, spring). While it is possible to register for each term individually, for the best experience we recommend taking all three terms.
These courses use Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture, which is a textbook designed by the Japan Foundation.
For more information or to register in one of this year’s Japanese Together courses please click here.
If you are interested in learning Japanese using Marugoto but not ready to commit to a full-year course, in the summer we offer an introductory-level Marugoto Summer Sampler, where you can gain the knowledge to start talking about yourself and your world in Japanese.
Other Japanese Language & Culture Classes
At the Japan Foundation, Toronto we sometimes offer classes designed to supplement your Japanese studies, or prepare you for entering courses such as Japanese Together. We also have cultural classes looking at various aspects of Japan, Japanese culture, Japanese society, and the language associated with them which are the perfect for people who are interested in learning the language but don’t know where to start.
While some classes occur only once, we also have classes that we offer on a regular basis, including:
- Let’s Learn Hiragana! (JF Standard A1): offered in the fall, for those who want to start learning how to read and write in Japanese
- Let’s Learn Katakana! (JF Standard A1): offered in the fall, for those who want to learn how to read and write the second of the basic Japanese alphabets
- Travel Japanese (JF Standard A1): offered twice a year in February/March and May/June, for people who are planning to visit Japan and want to learn some essentials before they go!
We also occasionally offer classes for intermediate learners, such as our Let’s Learn Keigo! class for those who want to learn about formal Japanese.
- November 18, 25, & December 2: Let’s Learn Katakana! (2:00 – 3:30 pm)
- December 13: Bring Your Own Bento: Winter Holidays in Japan (12:15-12:45 pm)
JLPT Information Sessions
Every September we have information sessions for people who are interested in taking the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) but are not quite sure what is involved. (Please note that we do not cover test-taking/study strategies, but instead give a general overview of the exam and different levels.)