Wednesday, July 4 to Saturday, July 7, 2018
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby Campus, BC
The following individuals are eligible to participate in the program:
a) In principle, those who are currently employed by the applying organization as a Japanese-language teacher and who will continue teaching in the aforementioned organization after their return.
* If you are a Japanese-language teacher who does not meet the above eligibility requirements but still wishes to participate in this program, please contact Ms. Noriko Saito at firstname.lastname@example.org.
b) Those who did not complete their compulsory education (elementary and junior high school, 9 years) in Japan.
This is a four-day workshop designed for non-native Japanese language teachers, including a one-day workshop open to other teachers on the first day. (Teachers interested in registering only in the one-day workshop can do so at http://jftor.org/event/workshop180704/.)
For the first day, Mr. Murakami will conduct a workshop: “Teaching Japanese as an Autonomous Learner.”
The remaining three days are an “overnight camp” workshop, focusing on autonomous learning with the goal of brushing up participants’ Japanese skills.
Day 1 (July 4): One-day workshop: “Teaching Japanese as an Autonomous Learner”
How to grow as a teacher, and as a Japanese/English/French user
- Autonomous Learning Strategies (Oxford SILL, CBLL)
- Autonomous Learning Resources (Extensive reading, online, collection of conversation topics)
- How to use online tools (Zoom etc.)
Day2 (July 5):
- Sharing learning methods
- Self-Reflection (What kind of Japanese language do you want to study? What you want to be able to do?)
- Trying out various resources
- Planning for autonomous learning on the next day.
Day 3 (July 6):
- Autonomous learning based on the plan from the day before
- Sharing progress and any changes
Day 4 (July 7):
- Discussion of continuing learning after the workshop
Conducted primarily in Japanese.
JFT will bear the following expenses in accordance with its regulations.
* Please note that the participants who apply after May 22 may not be able to receive accommodation provided by JFT.
b) Training program
The participants will bear the following expenses:
a) Cost for travel
b) Meals during the program
Applications should be submitted via e-mail to Ms. Noriko Saito (email@example.com) at the Japan Foundation, Toronto no later than June 10, 2018.
- Click here to download the application instructions (UPDATED MAY 23, 2018)
- Click here to download the application form (UPDATED MAY 23, 2018)
Noriko Saito (416)-966-1600 ext. 224 firstname.lastname@example.org