The Japan Foundation is an organization promoting cultural exchange between Japan and other countries in order to advance international mutual understanding. The Japan Foundation, Toronto is one of 25 overseas offices, offering programs grouped under three main areas: Japanese Language Education, Japanese Studies and Intellectual Exchange, and Arts and Cultural Exchange.
As a non-profit organization, The Japan Foundation, Toronto depends on volunteers to assist in the preparation and running of its events and activities throughout the year. Each year, we offer thousands of hours of programming that require the help of volunteers. Currently there are over 120 dedicated volunteers from all walks of life. Volunteers primarily help to supervise the art gallery, support the librarians and Japanese language instructors, and assist at functions such as lectures, movie screenings and receptions.
NOTE: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, there are currently limited volunteer tasks at the Japan Foundation, Toronto, and we will reach out to volunteers when an opportunity arises. If you are still interested in becoming involved, please email email@example.com.
Types of Volunteering Opportunities at the Japan Foundation, Toronto:
- Event Help: Assisting registration and collecting questionnaires at film screenings, lectures, and special performances both at the Japan Foundation, Toronto, and in the community. Typical hours – Weekday evening 5:45-8:30 p.m.
- Gallery Monitor: Greeting visitors, answering basic questions and monitoring the safety of artworks at the Japan Foundation gallery. Typical hours – Weekday daytime between 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (Each shift is around 2.5 hours) *Volunteer opportunities currently unavailable
- Library Assistant: Helping librarians accommodate families with children at seasonal events such as the Tanabata Festival and Toronto Comic Arts Festival. Typical hours – Select Saturdays 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. *Volunteer opportunities currently unavailable
- Japanese Language Education Assistant: Assisting teachers and staff with Japanese language events and/or assisting with event preparation as needed. Interacting with learners of Japanese (not to teach but as a fellow participant). Typical hours: Weekdays 6:00-9:00 pm. *Volunteer opportunities currently unavailable
*Events are sometimes held on weekends and hours vary
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please submit a volunteer application form, résumé and a short statement of interest by email to our Volunteer Coordinator, Melanie Muir, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected applicants will be invited for an interview with the volunteer coordinator. We thank all applicants for their interest in volunteering at The Japan Foundation, Toronto, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Applicants will be notified of the results by email or phone.
- Questions? Please contact Melanie Muir at (416) 966-1600 x230.