JFT Online MARUGOTO Japanese Language Courses
At the Japan Foundation, Toronto, we offer year-long Japanese language courses using the textbook series Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture, which was developed by the Japan Foundation. Marugoto is a textbook based on the Japan Foundation Standard for Japanese Language Education (or “JF Standard” – for more information, please click here). Through studying with us in our language courses, you will learn to complete various “Can-do” in Japanese!
We offer courses for everyone from complete beginners (Starter A1) to intermediate speakers (Intermediate B1).
*Please note that currently all our courses are only being offered online.
*These classes are for students interested in meeting once a week. If you are looking for course designed for learners who would like to primarily study by themselves, but have the support of an instructor and their peers, check out our JFT Online Teacher-Support Japanese Language Courses.
For inquiries about Japanese language classes, please contact Barbara Carter at email@example.com.
General Information | Course Listing | Student Voices
All courses run for 2.5 hours a week over three 13 week terms (fall, winter, spring). Over the course of the three terms students will cover one level of our textbooks, so while it is possible to join the course from Term 2 or Term 3, for the best experience we recommend starting in September.
For all of our courses, class size is limited to 12 students.
JFT Online MARUGOTO Japanese Language Course Fees
Each term (Fall, Winter, Spring) costs $390. Payment is accepted only on a Term by Term basis.
Once a student has registered in the course and their registration has been confirmed they will be sent a PayPal invoice (please refer to the registration process below). A student’s position in the course is only confirmed once full payment has been received.
Register and pay by August 31, 2020 and Term 1 will only cost $325!
*A placement test may be required depending on the level you register for, so make sure you sign up early and grab a placement test spot before the deadline! Please read the Terms and Conditions for full details.
Textbooks are not included in the fees and students are expected to buy their own copies.
For the specific books for each level, please refer to the individual course pages under the course listing.
In Canada, physical copies of the Marugoto textbook series are available from Blue Tree Books. You can pick them up in person at the Markham, Ontario location in J-Town, or from their online store at https://bluetreebooks.com/product-tag/marugoto-2/.
Terms and Conditions
For full details on our course policies including our refund policy please refer to the Terms and Conditions.
How to Register
Registration is on a first come first serve basis. The earlier you register the better chance you have of getting a seat! In the event that there is a greater demand than spaces, a waiting list will be made available.
Registration opens approximately 7 weeks before the first class, and remains open as long as spaces are available.
For the 2020-21 school year registration will open at 12:00 pm EDT on Thursday, July 30.
Wondering how registration works?
- Carefully read through the terms and conditions.
- Go to the information/registration page of the level you are interested in (see course listing).
- Fill out the application form on that page, taking care to fill out the self-assessment.
- You will receive an e-mail confirming that we have received your application and we will begin processing it.
- You may be asked in for a placement interview to make sure this course will be the appropriate level for you.
- Should the course be at too easy or too difficult of a level for you, we may not be able to accommodate you in the course.
- If spaces are available in a course more suited to your level, you are welcome to transfer your registration to that course.
- Once your registration has been confirmed you will be sent a PayPal invoice to the e-mail address you provided when registering.
- A student’s position in the course is only confirmed once full payment has been received.
- If payment is not received by the designated deadline, you risk losing your spot in the class.