- Japan-related books in English, Japanese and French on art, culture, design, language, literature, history, sociology, politics, law, and geography
- Newspapers, popular magazines and academic journals
- Reference materials, including Japanese-language dictionaries, bilingual dictionaries, dictionaries of contemporary Japanese language usage, specialised dictionaries, encyclopaedias, various directories, atlases, etc.
- Japanese-language study and teaching materials, which include CDs and DVDs
- Feature films, anime, performing arts programs and documentaries in DVD and Blu-ray
- Music recordings by Japanese composers and performers on CD
- Japan Foundation publications
- Online databases
Most items are available for three-week loans – new DVDs and Blu-rays (marked with yellow sticker) and JLPT test materials during the period of September-December are available for one-week loans.
Interlibrary services are available. Please contact the library for more information.
Most of our library materials are available for loan, free-of-charge to registered patrons 14 years of age and over. To obtain a library card, borrowers should fill out an application form and show show a photo ID along with a proof of address. Please note that the applicant must reside in Canada from the date of application for at least three months. The library card can be renewed each year with valid ID. The cardholder is responsible for informing the library when any contact information changes.
Patrons may borrow a maximum of 15 total books (including manga), and up to a maximum of 5 of other media types (but no more than 15 items total). For example, 10 books and 5 CDs, or 5 books, 5 periodicals, 5 DVDs.
Except for the reference collection, most library materials are for circulation. The following items are available for loan for 3 WEEKS:
- Circulation Books (BK)
- Texts and Audio Kits (KIT)
- Magazines and Periodicals (PER)
- DVDs and Blu-rays (excluding those marked with the yellow “NEW” sticker)
- Video Tapes (VID)
- Manga (MANGA_E, MANGA_J, MANGA_F and MANGA_B)
The following items may be taken out for 1 WEEK:
- “NEW” DVDs and Blu-rays (marked with the yellow “NEW” sticker)
- JLPT test materials, between the months of September and December
Materials may be renewed once for an additional loan period: online, by phone, or at the library, if there are no fines or holds pending.
Regardless of the format, 20 cents per day per item will be charged for overdue materials. There is no charge for weekends and holidays.
When circulating materials are lost or damaged, the patron will be required to pay for the replacement cost. Replacement cost will be the actual cost plus a $10 handling charge.